September 1, 2009

Apple Pie



My edges aren't very pretty. My bottom crust needed to be a bit longer but I was in a hurry!

Apple Pie

6 tart apples peeled
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. vinegar
4 chunks butter
2 9-inch pie crusts

Peel and slice apples. Soak apples in water with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to prevent darkening. Mix sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and vinegar in a large bowl. Drain water off apples and mix with spices. Dump apples into a 9-inch pie crust. Place about 4 chunks of butter on top of apple pie filling. Place other crust on top and seal edges. Poke a few holes in the top crust before placing in oven. (I like to do the lattice from time to time because it reminds me of my Aunt Gracie. I always loved her apple pies!) Cut a few long strips of tin foil to cover the edges of your pie to prevent them from burning. Remove these strips of foil during the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

5 comments:

Always Autumn in my heart said...

So beautiful and I am imagining the smell~awww.. how nice.

Callie Brady said...

Yum! That pie looks delicious. Hope kitty is doing much better.

Paul said...

Those edges look pretty tasty to me! Your top crust is way more adventurous than any I would attempt.

Andora said...

Girl I don't see anything wrong with those edges..it looks so yummy..For some reason I never could make a good apple pie..and I'm not to bad of a cook...so who knows why..

Sue from Ky. said...

Don't do a lot of baking anymore on account of our weight and Pop's sugar problems, but will try your recipes when company comes. We have an apple tree, and no real need for canning any apples this year. Some years it's loaded with apples, but some years, not so many.After preserving all we need, we give lots of them away, but I would love to try your apple pie filling recipe this time.Sounds like a handy thing to have on hand for a spur of the moment dessert.Thanks for sharing.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!